My departure from Heathrow was stalled by an hour, causing many impatient mutters to gurgle around me. Once again I was blessed by two fascinating and inspiring people who filled the seats besides me – thus making the twelve hour flight bearable. The flustered travelers surging passport control made me clammy and irritable and yet after what felt like an age of torture a smile from Traci waiting was enough to make it all worthwhile. Especially as a step from the terminal we were celebrating with a mini J&B whisky and a long awaited nicotine fix. I was driven home in a styling convertible who went by the name of ‘Jimmy’ and whose mama was Traci’s best friend; Charly (what an honour to meet such a vivacious bubbly soul.) I had only landed a few hours ago but it already felt like I had never left, I mean this in that I slotted perfectly into my chair alongside the pool as if it had been shaped for my return – in short; I was home.
traci :D
My first day back included lunch alongside my wife as well as a few lazy hours spent with Mama and Papa bear and finally dinner with my parents. All in all, a blissful day of transition and considering I was only given a day – it was perfection.
Jessi and Michael kindly gave me shelter for a few nights and I instantaneously made myself at home as rapidly as I always do. Zane and Andre came by on my first evening there and surrounded me with laughter and hugs. The following night the girls and I treated ourselves to drinks and dinner at Cape Town Fish Market which was absolutely delightful as always, filled with stimulating chit chat and sushi. The perfect warm up to my welcome home gathering at Old Bridge the following night, which was in short; enough alcohol to make up for every single day I had been absent from Somerset West. The familiar faces enclosing me was like seeing sunshine creep out after a storm, the smiles spawned like daffodils in spring and the embraces between friends filled the tavern with love and light. All in all - a fantastic night.
charl sizing up the ladies
After drowning my tequila soaked head in a bucket of coffee I managed to gather enough strength to enjoy yet another entertaining evening out. Little did I know that by hitting the town three nights in a row I had set the tone for my entire holiday. Alas this didn’t faze me in the slightest and I spent the majority of the night soaking up the atmosphere my wonderful friends created, purely by being there. Primi Piatti jam jars have a piece of my heart.
jono and my jars
I was introduced to Hillcrest farm when I had lunch with the Cliffords. Besides falling instantly in love with the place I relished having some peaceful quiet time with my adopted family. It is always a pleasure. *curtsey*
adopted rents
After a few days of purely family time I spent an afternoon with my brother, Jono and Chelsea. We lazed it the sun all day and later in the evening Jono and I partook in our traditional drive up to Gordon’s Bay with a stop via MacDonald’s. No matter how long I’m away pr where I go, Jono and I always touch base as if I’d never left.
bro. mad love
Then came Bruce’s birthday braai…where I was not only the youngest by far, I was also the most fragile by far. Not being great with new people I sunk into my chair and hid behind my shades giving most of my attention to Rean as it was our first “real-life” encounter. I must admit, Cape Town was stunning regardless of my sore head and heavy eyelids.
I spent a few nights with Marcus over my time in South Africa and will be forever grateful to him for that time. Not only did he introduce me to a really amazingly eclectic group of people and share his new year’s with my cousin and I, he also reminded me of something I had until then completely disregarded, something that refreshed me and gave me the confidence to be myself and to be proud of being myself. Something that renewed my lease on life and opened my mind and heart to new possibilities. I had really good times in that house, sharing pipes and cigarettes, sharing laughter and hugs, making memories and creating moments. The whole lot of them were incredible in their individual ways and I feel uber blessed to have made such rocking new friends.
I spent my first Christmas with my niece and what a joy she is. Amelia Keira rocks headbands like she just fell out of the 1920’s and acts like a lady from the mid 1940’s – what an elegantly intelligent little princess. What a blessing to our family. Amelia is the reason for joy in all our hearts and she made our Christmas worth celebrating.
my beautiful niece
My dear friend; Conrad, hasn’t had a birthday party since he was a child ( if ever – I don’t recall) and so on the night of the 25th of December a bunch of us gathered to celebrate his 21st. It was a heavenly night of drinking games, solid fun, way too many shots (I’m surprised Conrad is alive) as well as outbursts of dancing, cake, fire poi and the ever present explosions of laughter that carried us all smiling into Boxing Day on a wave of intoxication.
after 21 shots
My cousin’s arrival was hailed by much expectation and a fair amount of liver preparation. We were re-united after being absent from each other’s lives for four long years and we celebrated being together again over meals at home, shared tobacco, trips to Cape Town and at the bottom of a shot glass. Absolutely awesome to spend a few days with the cousins. I wish we had had more time.
baby J
Then there was Rean’s festivities and Alba Lounge, quickly chased by lunch the next day which meant more time with Rean and Roux – who are freaking epic! A few days passed and there was a braai at Jessi and Michael’s where I got a standing ovation for being sober and not hungover. Granted it was the first time since my arrival. My reward was a beer.
rean, roux, jess & michael
jonny and me
Marais’ one night only was also an awesome night of misbehavior where a bunch old friends I hadn’t seen for ages got together to celebrate having ol’ Marais home from Korea. It was a great party. Among old friends catching up, new friends were made too – which is always special.
New Year’s Eve was spent with new friends blissfully wading in several feet of liquor, at the end of a pipe and in the arms of a lover – a wonderful way to usher in 2012. For all my over indulgence I only lost half a tooth that fateful night, by getting into a battle with a car door nonetheless.
The best day ever happened when after yet another night of irresponsible drinking…
SUUUURRRPRRRISSSSE :D
Conrad, Charl, Ryan and I set our hearts on having the most epic day ever, which started out with fighting the almighty Uno to start. Once we had jumped the Uno’s inner workings we set off merrily for Grand West where we fed on Spur until we had to undo our top buttons…
nom nom nom nom
We then went gambling where I lost everything as quickly as I had loaded it onto my fancy little card and then became everyone else’s slither of luck. Charl made the most money and was therefore pressurized into treating the rest of us to cocktails at The Jackson…
hanging like royalty at the jackson
After a silent prayer and a compliant Uno we gunned for home where we crammed into my lounge and played xbox until our eyes sunk into our skulls. Seriously was the BEST day ever.
lets have a hug for the best day ever :)
My summer at home was full of the most wonderful things…sun, smiles, partying, swimming, fun, adventure, love, laughter and a collection of memories I would never want to forget. Thank you, family. Thank you, friends. Thank you, South Africa.
aimee my love <3
jonny and i having a laugh
zaney and i at my farewell
moo moo and i
benji <3
my dad rocks socks
lying on train tracks wasted
goodbyes are never easy
andreeeeeeeeeeee
family rocking out in betty's bay <3
























No comments:
Post a Comment