29 May 2011

Unmasked gluttony

"Drugs may be the road to nowhere, but at least they're the scenic route"
~Author unknown
A sliver of South Africa, hidden away in the back garden of a wacky home smack bang in a Jewish neighbourhood, slowly revealed itself at 10pm. The bonfire lit up the merry faces of the crowd huddled around it. The braai was cooking, the "nik naks" were broken in and Mrs. Balls chutney make an elaborate entrance as well. We relished the boerie rolls under the grey London sky, Afrikaaners nattered away and the beer just kept on keeping on.

I was reunited with an old friend of mine that escalated my delirium into a swirl of simple fascination.The fire danced like liquid tongues spraying into the darkness, the laughter rang out around the seated circle and the liquor seemed to crawl into bloodstreams via osmosis. 
The versatility in people who attended was overwhelming. There were born and bred South Africans with a sprinkling of French, English, Australian and Spanish company. All walks of life, all beautifully crafted into their unique thought processes and styles. It truly is an education to be surrounded by an aura of undiscovered people and mysterious histories. 


Whenever I puff my way into oblivion I tend to fall into a deadly silence where my thoughts cause debauchery in my brain. I stumble into places I could never conjure up on an average day and I frolic amongst the mayhem quite happily. It is in the corners of my mind that I sniff out the creative genius lurking beneath and it is here that I find my curiosity for every aspect of these weird and wonderful folk I had found myself gathered with.

The ability to be able to be so confident when at the same time being so against the grain is a skill I deeply wish I was blessed with and I pondered on what had given these strangers their fortitude. I seem to mentally switch gears when I am in this particular frame of mind, my perspective takes on a very philosophical view. Every healthy blood cell pulsates in my cerebrum as I have intense yet whispered discussions with myself. This tends to be awkward as I am usually around company and presumed to be the anti-social smiling idiot. 

These gaps in my life provide me with the much needed and appreciated hours to bask in my naivety of how poisoned the world is becoming. The sacred hours when my feet are in the clouds and my soul skateboarding over rainbows are the hours that keep me strong in my convictions and courageous in my dreams. Sometimes, just sometimes there is a method amongst the madness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment